Sunday, August 7, 2011

A Day In Life

CHAPTER 3

This is a true story which i thought i should share with you.


Ernakulam

So it was on a college working day and as usual it was the same routine repeated over and over again.I got tired of classes and was hoping for an opportunity to get out of it.

So as fate would have had it on that fateful day August 5th, Friday a friend was in need of rare A-ve blood.
In all these years i never had my blood group tested,so i didn't know my blood group.
Anyway i decided to donate my blood.(After all it was for a good cause)
He had cancer and the illness was on its last stage.

So now it's time for me to let out my secret i.e my physical appearance.
Well ever since birth i was thin.As long as i could remember ,wherever i went ,the "thin" tag kept following me.It follows me even now.
Well now i weigh just 55 kilos.
I went to the hospital and a nurse took my blood sample.
Then i was asked to fill up a #facepalm form which had a lot of funny questions.The questions ranged from "are you feeling healthy?", to "have you had coke?" and to "have you given money for sex?"
I answered only the first question with a "yes"(i.e "are you feeling healthy?")
At the hospital i learned that my friend was on ventilator.He had been denied treatment as a result of shortage of blood for transfusion.
The doctor examined me and checked my blood pressure.
She was critical of my health(The first question she asked was,"Are you not eating anything?")
Well contrary to popular belief i eat more than most people do.It's just that my genes are programmed to make me thin.
Anyway i was so determined to donate blood that finally i managed to convince the doctor to let me do it.
Well at first some anesthetic was rubbed onto my arm and later the transfer began.It was irritating at first and gradually i couldn't feel anything.
I assumed about ten minutes passed before i was lost in thought.
Then i forgot why i was there and started to think of things.It was so peaceful, calm and quiet.I was in the most wonderful dream.Minutes passed...i was still in the dream...

I was woken up to peering faces all looking anxious,it took a few moments for me to realize that i had fainted.I was unconscious only for a few moments, but now the blood transfer was stopped.
So now my head was aching a bit and continued to do so for a few minutes.
So after a few minutes i was all ready to go , but the nurses kept asking me questions.
"You didn't eat anything today?"a nurse asked ."No,not after morning",I replied.I hadn't eaten since morning and it was nearly evening.
"He doesn't have a good health",I heard them murmuring among themselves.
Anyway they let me off after half an hour.I felt fine except for my right hand which was not to lift any heavy objects for a day.My blood group was found to be A+ve.But it doesn't matter as a unit of A-ve blood would be substituted for my friend as a result of my donation.

I decided to work on my health and improve it.

Well this entire episode has taught me great lesson.A lesson about life and death.Now i realize why some people are the way they are.Now i realize why it's important for me to keep on donating blood.I want to be more healthy just to help these people.
I didn't do it for money,i did it for a soul .Now i am happy about what i have done and would donate blood again if need be.

No comments:

Post a Comment